Sunday, November 20, 2011

If I’d only listened

The other day I had one of those moments where the Lord clearly spoke to me, but I didn’t listen. 

Grace and I went bowling with the homeschool group we’re a part of.  Now, I haven’t been bowling in 15 years.  {The last time I bowled I made the mistake of crossing over the line into the slicker-than-ice zone.  Who knew?  One second I’m upright, the next I’m flat on my back, no stops in between!  Thankfully and amazingly I wasn’t hurt.  My friend, who was laughing her head off, tried to help me up.  But it.was.slick!  I finally managed to slide myself over to the gutter where I could get enough leverage to get back into an upright position.  One of the more embarrassing moments in my life.}

At any rate, last Thursday I had just played my first turn when He said, “Stop, or you’re going to be in pain tomorrow”.  Of course, it wasn’t an audible voice.  Just that niggling in my spirit.  I just remember thinking how I’d probably be sore the next day.  So I decided to go ahead and stop—after this game. 

Oh, how I wish I would’ve heeded the Lord’s instructions.

I actually wasn’t as sore as I thought I’d be the next morning.  And because it was such a nice day, I decided to go ahead and take my walk, doing an extra couple laps around the park so Grace could play.

Then the pain came with a vengeance.  My upper shoulder and on into my neck had a shooting pain I don’t remember ever having.  It got so bad I had to lay down alternating the ice pack with the heating pad.  When I tried to get up a few minutes later I couldn’t and needed my husband to help me.  We began praying for healing.

That night I had to sleep on my back (which I can’t normally do for prolonged periods of time).  And in the morning the pain was so bad I couldn’t move my neck, and I had to take shallow breaths because it hurt to breathe.  More praying and ibuprophen.  I have to be in a lot of pain to take an over-the-counter anything.  After a nice hot shower I began feeling better, and as the day progressed I began getting more and more movement in my neck and the pain began subsiding.  I slept on the recliner couch and this morning, I am happy to say the pain is very minimal and only at the source.  God is good to bring such quick relief and healing.

I don’t for a second believe that the Lord caused the pain to teach me a lesson.  On the contrary, if I would’ve stopped when He told me to, I would not have had to waste the last two days in pain.  But there is a lesson to be learned:  Obey.  He warned me, but I didn’t heed the warning.   

I am constantly on the learning curve.  With each lesson He teaches I’m hoping there will not have to be repeats.  You can bet I will listen the next time.  In fact He won’t even need to say anything because I’M NOT EVER GOING BOWLING AGAIN!

God Bless!

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ-like please :)